January 18, 2010

Baked Ravioli

My new favorite way to find new recipes is from daily emails I get from All Recipes and Martha Stewart.  I file them away and when I am ready to try something different, I look there first.  So far, it is working out pretty well.  There have been some duds over the last few weeks (which I will spare you), but this one was a keeper thanks to Martha.

It was fairly simple and tasty.  One downside, I wasn't thinking very well when I bought the ingredients.  It made a lot.  I think it could have been cut in half fairly easily, but I didn't put my math cap on to figure it out.  Oh well, we have some for leftovers this week and I froze the rest for another day.  My favorite part was the baked cheese on top.  Yum.  I also used a Michigan brand pasta, Pierino, for the first time.  Mostly because I had a coupon, but also because I like to support the Michigan economy when I can.  I used a mix of cheese and meat.  Next time, I will just use all cheese.  Something wasn't sitting right with the meat for us.

2 Tablespoons of olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
coarse ground salt and pepper
1 1/2 teaspoon dry oregano or thyme (I used my Italian Seasoning spice)
1 can (28 oz) whole tomatoes
1 can (28 oz.) crushed tomatoes
2 pounds store bought ravioli
1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella (I used Kraft's Natural 5 Italian Cheese blend because I had it on hand)
1/2 grated parmesan

Heat oven to 425.

In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat.  Add garlic, onion and season with salt and pepper.  Allow the onion to soften, around 5 minutes.

Add oregano (or thyme) and tomatoes.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer and cook it for around 20-25 minutes, breaking up the whole tomatoes with your spoon.  Reduce down until it thickens, to about 5 1/2 cups.

While the sauce is cooking, bring a large pot of water to a boil.  Cook ravioli according to package, until they just float to the top.  They will continue to cook while in the oven.  Drain.

Mix ravioli and sauce together and pour into a 9x13 dish.  Spread the cheeses on top.  Cook for around 20-25 minutes.  Allow for it to cool a bit before serving...it will be hot!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails