January 17, 2010

Happy 6 Year Anniversary to Owen and Me!

Owen and I, a week after bringing him home...so tiny!

I know, now I am really the crazy cat lady. I am wishing Owen and I a happy anniversary.

6 years ago today, I went to the Petsmart in Roseville after weeks of browsing Petfinder to adopt Owen (formerly known as Butterscotch) from Feline Friends Rescue. I was so excited to finally have my own place and have a furry friend to be my companion. My dear friend Kim had 2 awesome cats that I fell in love with, and they really helped make up my mind that I needed a kitty in my life. Little did I know, Owen would be the start of many cats that were part of our home. I loved Owen so much, I started volunteering with the rescue soon after and over the course of 5 years, fostered and placed over 50 cats into their fur-ever homes. It has been a very rewarding experience and I encourage anyone looking for a pet to ADOPT!

There are so many great pets out there that need good homes, especially during these trying economic times. So many families have had to surrender their pets due to financial reasons, shelters and rescues are over-flowing. The great thing about a good majority of rescued animals, they are a "package" deal! They already have some or all of their shots and if you adopt an older animal, more than likely, they are already spayed or neutered!

Obviously, we are big advocates for rescuing animals...we have 5 of them in our house. Call us crazy, but we wouldn't have it any other way. And for me, it all started with my adorable, shy orange tabby that loves sweets (not kidding, he smells a cookie, cake, ice cream, cupcake batter, etc., he comes running to you and he will even lick it!).

Owen will always be #1 in my heart...but don't tell the others that! :)

1 comment:

Amy said...

Awww! Hi Owen! I love seeing the little kitten pics!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails