December 13, 2009

Fiesta Lasagna

This is another great recipe we got from one of our showers before the wedding. I highly recommend brides-to-be to do that...we got so many great options from "trusted" friends and family!

I apologize for not taking a picture...but picture your normal lasagna, just without the red sauce. This was so easy and SO good. It required minimal dishes to be dirtied and since we don't have a dishwasher, this always makes me like a dish that much more!

I invited my parents over to help us eat this, because as much as I love lasagna, I don't like to make it for just us because it is just too much! Between the for of us, we ate about half of it. The other half I froze for another day.

Cook and then drain
1 lb. ground beef (I am sure ground turkey would be just fine too)
1/4 cup chopped onion

If you choose to use regular lasagna noodles, then you should be boiling and then draining those as well, at this point. You will need around 9. I tried out the "no bake" kind this time and boy, were they awesome. I highly recommend them.

Add the cooked meat and onion to a large bowl. Add:
1 can refried beans (14 oz.)
1 can mild chili beans (14 oz.)
1 can mexican stewed tomatoes (14 oz.)
1 cup salsa
1 can green chilies (I used a small can of chopped ones)
1 envelope taco seasoning
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

Mix well.

In another bowl mix together:
1 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese
1 1/c cup Monterrey jack cheese, then divide in half into another bowl.

In one half of the shredded cheeses, add:
3/4 cup cottage cheese
3/4 cup sour cream. mix well.

Lightly grease a 9x13 pan, preheat oven to 350.
Spread appx. 1 cup of the meat mixture on the bottom of the dish.
Layer with 3 lasagna noodles.
Then layer 1/3 of the cheese with sour cream mixture and more meat sauce. Repeat twice. Your top layer should just be meat sauce, not noodles (like I did :) )

Cover and bake at 350 for 1 hour.

Uncover and spread 1/2 cup sour cream and remaining cheese. Bake for 10-12 more minutes. Remove and let sit for 10 minutes before serving.



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails