December 25, 2009

Breakfast Pie

For Christmas, I wanted to make a nice and easy casserole dish for Steve and I to enjoy. I have been finding a lot of good recipes on All Recipes lately, and this one is no exception! It is almost like my quiche recipe, except with potatoes in it. The other added bonus, I had every ingredient in the house already! I love it when that works out.

I was also able to use the "Delay, Bake & Hold" function on the oven so we could have breakfast ready for us when we came home from Christmas morning mass with the Griffiths side of the family.

8 strips of bacon
1/4 cup crushed cornflakes
5 eggs lightly beaten
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup small curd cottage cheese
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 green onion, sliced (next time, I might add another stalk or two for more flavor)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
2 1/2 cups frozen cubed hash brown potatoes
  1. Cook the bacon as you normally would. Reserve around 2 Tbsp drippings. (Steve and I love cooking it in our oven since that is what all the Food Network chefs do. :) ), crumble or cut into small pieces.
  2. Pour the bacon drippings into a small bowl with the crushed cornflakes.
  3. Combine the eggs, milk, cottage cheese, cheddar cheese, onion, salt and pepper until blended.
  4. Stir in hash browns.
  5. Pour into a greased 9 inch pie plate.
  6. Sprinkle with cut up bacon and cornflake/dripping mixture.
  7. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
The next morning, remove from the fridge and set out for 30 minutes before baking.

Preheat oven to 325.

Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand 5-10 minutes before serving.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails