June 22, 2009

Lonestar State Cheesecake

When we went to go complete our registry at Williams Sonoma, the sales associate was really pushing the springform pan I had on my registry but chose to not get.  She claimed it was the best thing they had in the store, so I caved.  I like to bake and I had never tried a cheesecake and this Kaiser pan would allow me to do that.

I got this recipe off the Food Network website, from a cook I have never watched before, Sunny Anderson.  It seemed easy enough and it was getting high ratings, so I gave it a whirl.  Plus, I got to use some new kitchen gadgets...springform pan, food processor, Kitchen Aid mixer and a mandoline slicer (for the strawberries)!

I am not one to brag about my mad skillz, but this was a pretty gosh darn good cheese cake.  Creamy, not too rich and simple to make.  Again, this got a resounding "yum" from my parents and hubby, so that made me happy!


Note:  You do need a 9" springform pan to make this recipe.

2 cups graham cracker crumbs (original recipe called for cinnamon, I opted for regular)
6-8 tablespoons butter, melted (I used 8)
4 8 oz. packages of cream cheese, softened
1 1/4 cups sugar plus,
2 Tablespoons
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 tablespoons lemon juice
4 eggs, beaten
2 cups sour cream
1 pint blueberries
1 pint strawberries, sliced (you could probably use what ever fruit strikes your fancy)

Heat oven to 325.

In a food processor, blend graham cracker crumbs and melted butter until moist, but not wet.  Press into the bottom and up the sides of the springform pan.  In a large bowl, using an electric beater, combine cream cheese, 1 cup of sugar, 1 teaspoon of vanilla and the lemon juice until light and smooth.  Slowly mix in the eggs until well blended.  Pour into prepared pan.

Bake 55 minutes or until the center sets.  (Our oven took about 60 minutes)

Turn oven off and remove the cake.

In a medium bowl, mix together sour cream, 1/4 cup sugar and remaining vanilla.  Spread this over top of the cheesecake and return to the warm oven for 30 minutes.  Remove and then let cool to room temperature before removing the springform.  (I actually let the cheesecake get to room temperature and then put in the fridge for 4 hours until post-dinner...came out great).

Meanwhile, in a small bowl toss together blueberries and sliced strawberries with remaining sugar.

Serve slices of the cheesecake with the fruit as a garnish.

2 comments:

Sunny Anderson said...

amy, wow ... what a nice surprise to see you've tried a recipe of mine ... and it loooks sooooo good! great slice pic. so ... what would it take to get you to watch my show :-)? i don't want to advertise on your blog, so no need to post if you don't want, but it's called "cooking for real" and it airs 7 days a week, so if you have a crazy schedule, hopefully you can catch it. m-f at 4pm, sat (new eps) at noon, and sundays at 930am. many of my recipes are easy to tackle and not hard to shop for. hope you give a few more a try, and maybe catch the show. thanks again and happy eating!

AmyVan317 said...

Thanks Sunny for posting! Wow! :) I feel so special!
I will definately check your show out. We are always looking for new recipes.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails